St. Stephan’s Cathedral
The St. Stephan’s Cathedral (Parish Church of Lipótváros, Budpest) belongs to the Esztergom-Budapest archbishopric. The neo-renaissance cathedral is one of the most significant churches and most visited tourist attractions of the capital, a venue of St. Stephan’s cult. The cathedral is named after St Stephan, the first king of Hungary, the founder of the Hungarian Kingdom. St. Stephan’s right hand is kept in a good condition and exhibited as a relief. The 96 m high building is one of the highest buildings of the country.
Citadella is a fortress built by the Habsburg monarch on the top of the Gellért hill in 1854 after the defeat of the fight for freedom in 1848-49. It was registered as a part of UNESCO world heritage in 1987 including the Buda Castle and the scenic view of the bank of the Danube on both sides.
The Fisher’s Bastion is one of the best known monuments in Budapest located in the Buda Castle in the 1st District. It is belonging to the most significant tourist attractions due to the outstanding view to Budapest, which can be seen from the neo-roman panoramic terraces. The main façade of the Fisher’s Bastian parallel with the Danube is 140 m long. The southern corridor is 40 m the northern is 65 m, meanwhile the ornamental central parapet is 35 m long. The peaked stone towers are symbolising the seven Hungarian conqueror leaders.
The Hero’s Square is the largest and most imposing square in the 14th District. In a certain sense it is the Millennium Monument itself. The Hero’s Square with the adjacent Andrássy Avenue is a part of the UNESCO World Heritage.
Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden
Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden (popular name “The Zoo”) is the oldest zoological garden with the richest collection in Hungary. It can be found in the 14th District in the City Park at 6-12 Állatkerti Boulevard registered as a nature reserve since 1986. The Assembly of Budapest has increased its area from 10.7 hectares to 17.3 hectares in November 2012.
The Szabadság Square is located in the city centre of Budapest in the 5th District in the middle of the administrative quarter. It is one of the most beautiful squares of the capital which has been reconstructed in 2000. The renewed square become pedestrian zone excluding the motor vehicle traffic. The closest bus is No. 15 which stops at the Széchenyi Street.
The Parliament or the “House of the Country” is one of the best known public buildings, headquarter of several institutions (i.e. the Parliament Library). It is located in the 5th District at the bank of the River Danube, on the Kossuth Lajos Square. Its reconstruction had been completed in 2009 after 21 years of works. The decoration lighting was renewed in the summer of 2014.
The National Theatre of Budapest can be found in the 9th District. The new building has opened its gates in 15 March 2002, a half century after the demolition of the original building. The Theatre was established by the registration of the National Theatre Inc.
The Comedy Theatre is one of the most popular theatres in Budapest with a long history. There are three scenes operational in the building: the Main Stage, the House Stage and the Pesti Theatre. The total capacity is 1700 seats. The theatre is the cradle of the Hungarian civil drama with famous authors such as Jenő Heltai, Sándor Bródy, Dezső Szomory, Menyhért Lengyel, Ernő Szép, Ferenc Herczeg. Globally the large theatres lost a significant part of their audience. In spite of this tendency the premieres of the Comedy Theatre are successful attracting many people. The Theatre can be found on the Szt. István Avenue.
Hungarian State Opera
The Hungarian State Opera is the main theatre of Hungary specialised in opera and ballet spectacles with a high number of associated artists. The building is one of the most significant monuments of Budapest erected in the 19th century in neo-renaissance style according to the plans of Miklós Ybl. Famous Hungarian Artists participated in the creation of the interior design such as Mór Than, Károly Lotz and Bertalan Székely.
The Thália Theatre is one of the theatre associations of Budapest. Their spectacles can be seen in the building of 22-24 Nagymező utca in the 6th District since 1995.
There were more initiatives under this name in the 20th century named after the Hungarian author Imre Madách. The present Madách Theatre was reorganised after the 2nd World War and moved to the building of 29-33 Erzsébet Avenue in the 7th District.
The City Park is the second largest public parks of Budapest, located in the 14th District. Its total area is 100 hectares. The green surface itself is 81 hectares with 6500 trees. It is a popular resting place and cultural centre of the capital with several attractions, monuments. As an administrative quarter some office buildings and dwelling houses are registered officially within its borders.
The Buda Castle is a quarter in 1st District nominated as “the Castle”. It is belonging to the UNESCO World Heritage since 1987 registered under the name of “Buda Castle Quarter”. Several medieval monuments and dwelling houses and public buildings can be found from the 17-18th century. The Buda Castle Quarter has three main parts such as the Castle of Buda, St. Georg Square and the historical dwelling quarter.